My daughter told me we were going to do it again.
I was in her room this summer and in order to make more space in her room, I was going to build her an attic bed. . .
I was looking around at interwebz for inspiration and found that a lot of beds were made with legs, but not so many were made with feet.
I liked one I saw on the Ana White website, but I ended up modifying it to suit my needs.
I wasn't going to do an Instructure, so I didn't have a lot of photos, but I think you can know how it developed and make one yourself.
Despite my intention to paint, I chose to use selected wood in most of the buildings.
The result is really great, my daughter is very happy!
You need to decide the height of your bed.
I was able to start the bottom around 5'2, and there was about 3' above the mattress.
This will give my daughter a room to grow up, at least as high as her mother before she has to start avoiding it. . .
Your ceiling height will determine the height of your ceiling.
Once you have the height, you need to mark a horizontal line all the time on the bed. I used a self-
Flush the laser for a reference, mark it on some blue tape.
You can use the flood bank, or even the foam water level, if you have it, but make sure it is correct.
Don't just use the size on the floor or ceiling, as no house in the world is perfect in level and square. . .
I then cut 2x4 to fit around the bed.
On both sides of the window I built a 2x4 deeper window and I added DingTalk pieces to the edge of the front.
You can see these (sort of)
In the photo
I installed the 2x4 on the wall with 4 "lag screws, with two in each screw.
It may be completely excessive, but it carries precious goods. . .
I used the other 2x4 at the top of the DingTalk block I added to connect the sides of the window, leaving room for the decoration and blinds on the window.
I connected the front with a long bolt attached to the front DingTalk block.
I then added two more frame members with full length.
I bought some but I hate the way they look so I replaced them with pocket screws and glue.
The next step is to add 1x6 fascia plate to the front (
Mainly for appearance, but also to avoid the development of things. . . ).
Next I added deck 1x6.
Under the mattress, I used 3/4 of the space between the boards.
The mattress was over and the ladder landed and I used 1/4 spacing as she would walk around/crawl and I didn't want her fingers stuck in more space.
I laid the railing so there would be at least two planks on the mattress.
The railings are all 1x3 select pine.
I built it with a gasket, which made it easier to build it on my picnic table "Workbench.
I fixed the railing through the front fascia plate to the back 2x4 with the lag screw, and then added a pocket screw from the top facing the fascia plate.
It feels very strong when you grab it and pull it.
I had the lag screw covered with a button cap.
I built the ladder with a selection of 2x4.
I made dad on the side bar and pocket holes on the pedal.
I top the ladder with something like this :(
Not exactly, but the closest I can find. . . ).
My "client" asked the ladder to be done with polyurethane instead of painting it like the rest of the bed, so now in the photo it's still raw wood.